Deadweight balances are a primary standard. Pressure balances are the most accurate instruments for the calibration of all types of pressure gauges; electronic or mechanical.
Deadweight balances use the primary physical principle of pressure; direct pressure measurement (p = F/A) as well as the use of high quality materials allow a very low measurement uncertainty in combination with excellent long-term stability, usually five years (recommendation according to the German calibration association DKD/DAkkS). Thus, the pressure balance has been used for years in factory and calibration laboratories in industry, national institutes and research centers.
Flexilatina of Colombia has two WIKA – MENSOR deadweight balances of excellent quality, proven by the experience of the manufacturer and supported by WIKA; the model CPB5000.
Thanks to the integrated pressure generation and the purely mechanical measuring principle, the CPB5000 model is ideal for use in maintenance, calibration of digital and electronic standards and technical service in general.
How do they work?
Pressure is defined as the ratio of the normal component of the force on a surface to the area of that surface. The core of the CPB5000 is therefore a precision manufactured piston-cylinder system, which is loaded with weights to generate the various test points.
The weight loading is proportional to the desired pressure and is achieved by means of optimally graduated weight disks. These weight disks are manufactured as standard according to the earth acceleration standard of 9.80665 m/s², but can also be adapted to your specific application site and calibrated according to DKD/DAkkS.
Features and advantages of calibrating your digital standards with deadweight balances
- Total measurement uncertainty up to 0.008% of the measured value.
- Factory calibration included According to DKD/DAkkS, traceable to national standards.
- High long-term stability with recommended recalibration cycle after five years.
- Stainless steel and aluminum weight discs, adaptability to local ground acceleration.
- F1 type anti-magnetic weight sets for highest precision and accuracy when calibrating a measuring point.
- Quick and safe replacement of the piston-cylinder system to perform the change of measuring range by means of the patented ConTect quick clamping system.
- Primary standard for industrial and calibration laboratories for testing, adjusting and calibrating pressure measuring instruments.
- Direct measurement of pressure, as defined as force/area ratio, and the use of high-quality materials result in small measurement uncertainties.
- Range from vacuum to 10,000 psi.
Considerations when choosing between a digital calibrator and a deadweight balance to calibrate your equipment
- Deadweight balances are systems that physically generate a known pressure in addition to calibration.
- Deadweight balances are considered primary standards because they are based solely on physical parameters and the pressure measurement is not transmitted to an electronic or analog signal.
- Digital pressure standards are secondary standards because the pressure is translated into an electronic signal using a transducer.
- Due to the high accuracy and reliability of deadweight balances, digital pressure standards are calibrated with deadweight balances.
- Deadweight balances, because they are physical standards, can be customized to cover wide pressure ranges using different masses and effective area components.
- Digital pressure standards have limited ranges due to the sensor used in their manufacture. Therefore, multiple devices are needed to cover wide pressure ranges.